blogtofacebook

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

SINGAPORE: My letter published in Today


http://www.todayonline.com/homepage.asp

'PLEASE OFFER ASSISTANCE OR MIND YOUR TOES!'

Letter from


I refer to "A Graceless society?" (Feb 12) and wish to thank Annette Tan Siew Lan for what she has written. I am a New Yorker living in Singapore and my pre-conceived notion of a polite society is being dashed to little bits. I travel around the city with two toddlers in a
stroller and frequently meet people at the lifts of Paragon Medical Centre or at the MRT station who arrive after me, then push past me to get in. New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude and they are at times bold and aggressive but never this rude. At first, I was shocked but now, I simply roll the stroller over the toes of the rude offender.

Please feel free to share my warning to Singaporeans. If you see a red-haired woman struggling with her children please offer assistance or mind your toes!


(Accompanying this letter is a cartoon drawing of a red-headed woman with a big nose saying Out of the way! Or your toes get it... to a non-descript guy. Are caucasians perceived as having big noses? The words for foreigner here is "Ang Mo"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You tell 'em, girl.

Is there a market for Hummer strollers?

Anonymous said...

Good letter.
I guess this is something like road rage but it is pedestrian rage.

I'd like to see that cartoon.

Mom

Anonymous said...

I think I have pedestrian rage too. When people are blocking my way on the mobbed streets of Soho, I have the urge to push them out of my path.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Come to Great Barrington, Massachusetts, few people and almost no lifts.

Dad

Zoe's Travel's said...

Hummer Stroller! Sounds like a money making idea! --zoe