blogtofacebook

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Selamat Hari Raya






We were invited to a meal celebrating the end of Ramadan at the Princess' Palace in Malaysia. Here is part of the details on the invitation.

Selamat Hari Raya!

Attached below is an email excerpt from the princess.

"Dress code is smart.
no jeans, or flip-flops, etc.

Proper shirts either short or long sleeves are fine.

Cameras and film cameras are welcome"



The address is
Istana Pasir Pelangi
Jalan Pasir Pelangi, JB.


I expected to be among thousands but it wasn't quite like that which may be because there was celebrations over a couple of days and Ramadan was already over. There were several hundred people seated in tents outside and perhaps 30 inside. We ate dinner at the table with the Princess. I was afraid to eat at first because I didn't understand what was happening or why were at the table with her. It was somewhat more casual than I thought but not entirely. Some people would kiss her hand. I hoped that I hadn't committed a huge faux pas by not kissing her hand. I tried to convince Lula that Princess' don't whine and that it wasn't a good idea to whine there but she wasn't quite buying it.

Photos here are the palace, the room we ate dinner in, the guard, the princess and Lula.

No comments: